The Long Hot Days of Summer
With this last week being one of the hottest days on record in Canada, we need to pay close attention to our young children, as high temperatures can cause children to become sick in many ways. Children, like the elderly, are less able to regulate their body temperatures, and as a result, they are exposed to extreme environmental temperatures.
Do you know the signs and symptoms of when a child is suffering from extreme heat?
- An elevated body temperature
- Increased sweating; cool, clammy skin despite the heat
- Goose bumps on the skin
- Fainting, dizziness, or weakness
- Increased thirst
- Not urinating for many hours
- Nausea and vomiting
- Breathing faster than normal
- Skin numbness or tingling
- Muscle aches or spasms
When the temperature outside is at a heat index of 90 degrees Fahrenheit or 32.2 degrees Celsius this will pose a significant health risk to a child. They can become dehydrated, acquire heat exhaustion, have heat cramps, heat stroke and could die.
Do you know how to prevent the effects of extreme heat?
Follow the guideline we have provided to make sure your children have a safe summer.
- Find an air-conditioned space for the children to play in. If you do not have air-conditioning in your place of business, find a nearby building that does, such as a library and make it a day trip for the children.
- Stay hydrated. Encourage the children to drink water, have jugs of ice-cold water in every room, suck on a popsicle or freezies, eat lots of fruit such as watermelon, frozen grapes and finger food as snacks.
- Dress lightly. Make sure the children are dressed in light weight and light-colored clothes that maximize the evaporation of sweat.
- Plan for extra rest time as the heat will make everyone tired and grouchy.
- Cool off with water, either in a kiddie pool, sprinkler, water guns, water balloons
At last, remember no matter what the circumstance, never, ever leave a child in a parked car! Temperatures can rise by 19 degrees in less than 10 mins.
If you would like to know more about esiKidz.com childcare software and how this revolutionary software is changing the daycare industry, please visit our website at www.esikidz.com childcare software, email us at firstname.lastname@example.org or call us at 778 552 7133 and we would be happy to give you a demonstration and a 30-day free trial of esiKidz.com childcare software.
Enjoy the Long Hot Days of Summer, but take precautions and stay cool!
Additional information and Resources